Don’t go it alone in Fallout four. Here’s the right way to discover and recruit helpful and deadly travelling buddies.
Fallout four could also be a single-player recreation however that doesn’t imply you wander the Commonwealth alone. During your travels you’ll have the possibility to search out and recruit totally different companions, some human, others not.
There are 13 companions within the base recreation, and an additional three and a bit (we’ll clarify) when you acquire all of the add-ons, as within the Fallout four Game of the Year re-issue. They all assist out in battle, you may commerce assets and kit with them, they usually typically maintain you firm in the course of the darkish days.
As a part of our Back to Fallout 4 guide, this web page incorporates particulars on all of the companions in Fallout four, their likes and dislikes, and the right way to get them in your social gathering. It’s value doing as Companions unlock a few of the greatest Perks in Fallout 4 in the event you make them pleasant sufficient.
(If you’re wanting greater than a pal to kick concerning the Commonwealth with, see our information on romance in Fallout 4.)
Here are just a few key issues to find out about companions in Fallout four:
- You can solely have one companion with you at a time, so once you meet one other and determine to recruit them, you may ship them again to any Settlements you’ve claimed in Fallout 4.
- Companions by no means die. They can get their ass kicked in battle and can kneel down and cease combating in the event that they take an excessive amount of harm. You can use Stimpaks on them to heal them, or wait till the present battle is over and they’re going to miraculously recuperate.
- You can provide a companion a weapon and new clothes, and use them to hold a few of your gear too. You can manually change their outfits and armour of their stock menu. The beginning weapon your companion has by no means runs out of ammo, however give them a distinct gun and it’ll run dry, so that you’ll have to maintain handing them bullets.
- Press Triangle and you’ll entry your companion’s stock, speak to them, dismiss them, subject instructions or learn the way they at present really feel about you.
- Each companion has a selected Perk however to unlock it you could make them such as you. Each companion likes and dislikes totally different actions you carry out. Get them to love sufficient of what you do and also you’ll unlock their Perk and have extra dialogue – and romance – decisions. Our information on romance in Fallout four might assist there.
- Some companions have a set of expertise you’ll discover beneficial at sure occasions. For instance, Valentine is nice at hacking laptop terminals. Talk to your companion, inform them you want them to do one thing, then level your crosshair at a goal and ship them off to do their factor. They’ll let you know if they’ll’t assist with that specific subject.
How to recruit Codsworth, butler of the long run slash previous
Codsworth is the cheery residence assist robotic who’s missed you for the previous 200 years. All you could do to recruit him is go to your own home once you escape Vault 111 as a part of the principle quest line, have a chat, after which return to him after rescuing the Minutemen at Concord. He’s not essentially the most helpful of companions fight clever, tending to hurry into melee and have his arse kicked however he’s at all times a light-weight within the gloom. He’ll provide you with purified water if he likes you, and you may make him put on bowler hats.
- Perk: Robot Sympathy
- Likes: Giving objects to folks, therapeutic Dogmeat, modding armour and weapons.
- Dislikes: Stealing from folks and breaking into owned safes, suitcases and different locked objects.
How to recruit Dogmeat, your trustworthy hound
Like Codsworth, you’ll discover Dogmeat in a short time as a part of the principle quest line; he’ll wander as much as you as you stroll from Sanctuary to Concord, on the Red Rocket Station. Dogmeat will be helpful, discovering stuff and bringing it to you; he has a singular set of instructions moderately than a dialogue menu.He is usually a ache in tight places, getting in your means and blowing your cowl in the event you’re taking a stealth route. He doesn’t appear to grasp the “stay” route very nicely.
- Perk: Dogmeat perks are unlocked on the Charisma tree, as he doesn’t have affection ranges.
- Likes/Dislikes: Actions haven’t any impact on Dogmeat. He loves you anyway.
How to recruit Piper, the journalist
You first meet Piper as you attempt to enter Diamond City. She’s blagging her means again inside the town partitions, and he or she makes use of you to get previous the mayor. Once you’re in, go go to her workplace and he or she’ll ask you to assist her with a narrative, the hunt Story of the Century.
All you want do is reply her questions on your previous. Doing so finishes the hunt and he or she gives herself as a companion. Her Perk means you’re going to get double XP once you uncover new locations and efficiently use speech.
- Perk: Gift of Gab.
- Likes: Picking locks, therapeutic Dogmeat and donating objects to folks. She additionally likes it in the event you’re typically imply to folks, which is a bit bizarre.
- Dislikes: Piper doesn’t such as you murdering folks for no cause. Seems affordable.
How to recruit Strong, the tremendous mutant
To recruit Strong you could full the hunt Curtain Call. Head round Diamond City till you choose up a radio sign from Trinity Tower. It’s a misery sign from Rex, who says he’s enslaved by tremendous mutants on the prime of Trinity Tower and must be rescued.
You have to be very closely armed if you wish to succeed. Make certain you have got loads of ammo as a result of the battle is lengthy and difficult. approach for combating tremendous mutants is to hit them first with a Molotov cocktail (pretty widespread) then use VATS to choose them off with a great rifle that makes use of .308 ammo. Take your time as you battle up the tower (you’ll face round 15 tremendous mutants) together with their chief, Fist. You’ll want grenades to take him out rapidly.
At the highest you’ll rescue Rex, the man who made the misery name, and his buddy Strong. Strong is a pleasant tremendous mutant who reads Shakespeare. You’ll have to resolve the tower through a makeshift carry and kill one other bunch of tremendous mutants earlier than you may recruit him. He’s deadly with a sledgehammer, however as he’s searching for the “milk of human kindness” he doesn’t prefer it when he sees you choose locks or lie/bully folks in dialog. Yes, actually.
- Perk: Beserk.
- Likes: Strong likes it once you kill random folks and eat human flesh (good if in case you have the Cannibal Perk)
- Dislikes: Strong doesn’t just like the Brotherhood of Steel, so dislikes you utilizing Power Armor and getting in a Vertibird. He additionally frowns on lockpicking of any sort and profitable speech.
How to recruit Nick Valentine, the personal detective
It’s fairly a quest line to search out Nick, nevertheless it’s a part of the principle story. Firstly, go to the detective company, as prompted by Piper once you enter Diamond City. Valentine isn’t there, however his secretary asks you to go discover him at Park Station, kicking off the Unlikely Valentine quest.
You’ll finally discover him after a prolonged shootout with Triggermen, and escort him again to Diamond City. Answer all of his questions so he can put collectively a plan for locating your son, and this can begin the Getting A Clue quest. Go to Kellogg’s and once you finally get inside and discover the key room, Nick will provide his companies as a companion. Nick will hack all however Master laptop terminals for you, which is a superb ability in the event you don’t have the Perk your self.
- Perk: Close to Metal
- Likes: Healing Dogmeat, hacking a pc and donating objects all make Valentine blissful.
- Dislikes: Stealing and pickpocketing get the thumbs down, as does choosing the lock of an merchandise owned by another person and murdering randoms.
How to recruit Preston Garvey, chief of the Minutemen
Preston was bugged, however he’s been mounted. He’ll be blissful to affix as your companion when you rescue the Minutemen at Concord as a part of the principle quest, then set up them at Sanctuary Hills through brief facet quest slash tutorial. If you advance the Minutemen faction questline too far he might run off to behave as a quest giver in Taking Independence, and is unavailble to journey with you till the hunt is completed – only a heads up.
- Perk: United We Stand.
- Likes: Modify weapons, hand out gear to folks and he’ll respect you.
- Dislikes: He’s a goody-goody, so don’t choose locks, steal, homicide, do medicine or typically be imply round him.
How to recruit Paladin Danse
You need Paladin Danse in your workforce as a result of he’s a badass in a firefight. You’ll discover him within the Cambridge Police Station, and he’s eager to assist out new members of the Brotherhood of Steel. He appreciates drive, so doesn’t object to violence when it’s mandatory. You’ll want to complete the Brotherhood of Steel faction quest to unlock his perk, romance him, and uncover his deepest secrets and techniques.
- Perk: Know Your Enemy.
- Likes: Modify weapons and armour, enter a Vertibird and Danse will approve.
- Dislikes: No stealing or choosing the locks on objects owned by different folks. And winners don’t use medicine.
How to recruit Hancock, the Ghoul
Hancock initially looks as if a nasty piece of labor, however he’s a nasty boy with a coronary heart of gold, and an awesome companion in the event you favor violence. You’ll discover him in Goodneighbor, and you may get him on board by working for him or finishing a facet quest for Bobbi No-Nose.
As he’s a ghoul himself, Hancock’s Isodoped Perk recharges your Critical hit meter 20 p.c sooner supplied you have got a radiation stage of 250 or extra.
- Perk: Isodoped
- Likes: He approves of your drug-taking, and likewise likes it once you make peaceable and violent dialogue decisions, which is a bizarre contradiction.
- Dislikes: Don’t make imply dialogue decisions round him.
How to recruit Curie, the fight medic robotic
Sure, Curie seems to be like a Codsworth, however she’s much more helpful and has a neat French accent. Her Combat Medic perk is nicely well worth the work – in the event you drop under 10 p.c well being she’ll heal you by 100 factors, though you may solely use it as soon as per day.
Curie will be romanced and has a really fascinating facet quest connected to her. Find her in Vault 81 (return a second time in the event you haven’t come throughout her the primary time) and speak to her to start the hunt Emergent Behaviour. Trust us on this, you need to do it.
- Perk: Combat Medic
- Likes: She likes it once you make imply, good and peaceable dialogue decisions, and provides stuff away.
- Dislikes: As she’s a medic, don’t be killing any innocents. And don’t steal or pickpocket.
How to recruit Cait, the addict pit fighter
Cait is a tough and tumble redhead with the accent to match. Born into a tough world and dealt a fair worse hand, she toughened and hardened and grew right into a formidable fighter with little respect for gentle residing. take what you may get, that’s her motto; and that additionally consists of taking medicine.
Recruit Cait by clearing the Combat Zone of raiders and chatting with administration; it’s nicely well worth the effort. Send her right into a battle along with her shotgun and he or she’ll do you proud, and her Trigger Rush perk means your Action Points regenerate sooner in case your well being will get low. You’ll want to finish her Benign Intervention companion quest to unlock it.
- Perk: Trigger Rush
- Likes: Drinking alcohol, taking your garments off, choosing locks, choosing pockets and bargaining for further fee all please her.
- Dislikes: Murder of innocents, giving stuff away, serving to out free of charge and being a jerk will upset Cait.
- Notes: Before Benign Intervention Cait likes to see you are taking medicine. Afterwards, she hates it.
How to recruit Deacon, the person of many faces
VG247’s official alternative for best companion in Fallout 4 (spoilers by that hyperlink), Deacon is the faction companion for the Railroad, and is recruited when you join the Railroad. He’s a swell man who adjustments his look on the drop of a hat, which implies he’s additionally a supply of free clothes in the event you raid his stock.
If you’re stealthy kind (have you ever seen our Infiltrator Fallout 4 build?) you’ll recognize Deacon’s Cloak & Dagger perk; it nets you +20% sneak assault harm and +40% stealth boy length.
- Perk: Cloak & Dagger
- Likes: Deacon likes seeing you hack, choose locks, cross speech checks for further caps, and be good (or imply however humorous) to others.
- Dislikes: Don’t do murders or use chems round Deacon.
How to recruit MacReady, the sniping mercenary
MacReady is loyal to 2 issues: cash, and more cash. Nevertheless, in case your values align, this hotshot merc is a incredible companion who will serve you faithfully, particularly if in case you have the sense to place him for sniping your foes.
Receuit MacReady by paying him, clearly; he’s down within the subway bar in Goodneighbour. Make buddies and also you’re taking a look at a candy 20%+ accuracy increase on headshots in VATS due to his Killshot perk. Nice.
- Perk: Killshot
- Likes: It’s all about cash – make threats, steal, haggle for further caps, and choose owned locks. Oh, and take your garments off.
- Dislikes: Don’t homicide innocents – but in addition don’t give stuff away, provide to work free of charge, or get hooked on chems; it’s an costly behavior, see.
How to recruit X6-88, the Institute Courser
If you want Synths however dislike freedom, X6-88 is the pal for you. Recruited after becoming a member of the Institute, an choice made obtainable late in the principle storyline. As you’d count on from an edngame companion, X6-88 is quitye the badass; there’s a cause the Institute’s Courers are so geared and revered.
The Shield Harmonics perk you’ll unlock in the event you make friends with this man will increase your power resistance by 20%, which isn’t dangerous, is it?
- Perk: Shield Harmonics
- Likes: He likes machines, so hack, mod your armour and weapons, use Power Armour and ask for mroe Caps to purchase extra instruments and trinkets.
- Dislikes: Don’t use chems, give stuff away, heal Dogmeat or take your garments off. Not certain why he cares concerning the nudity.
How to recruit Longfellow, the crusty previous sailor whose identify might be a joke
If you have got the Far Harbor DLC, you may simply recruit this useful man by finishing the hunt A Walk within the Park. He’s not an awesome assist in fight, being armed with a rifle and a bent to hurry proper onto the frontlines. One or the opposite, mate! Cait or MacReady are a more sensible choice than this compromise state of affairs. Try giving him a shotgun for higher outcomes.
Longfellow’s Perk, Hunter’s Wisdom, may be very helpful for wandering the wild; it nerfs enemy animals’ bodily and power resistance by 25%.
- Perk: Hunter’s Wisdom
- Likes: Longfellow likes it once you’re sort, peaceable and useful, but in addition once you get drunk and ask for more cash.
- Dislikes: Murders, chems, giving stuff away, pickpocketing, stealing and refusing requests all annoy Longfellow.
How to recruit Porter Gage, the Raider’s pal
If you fancy your self a villain and have the Nuka World DLC, Porter Gage is the person for you. Far too intelligent to color a goal on himself, Gage prefers to behave because the éminence grise to whoever instructions the warring factions within the theme park. You want to finish the hunt An Ambitious Plan to recruit him.
Gage has the Lessons in Blood perk, which grants you +5% XP for kills, in addition to +10 harm resistance.
- Perk: Lessons in Blood
- Likes: Stealing, choosing locks, refusing to assist NPCs, modding your weapons, performing egocentric and being imply all please Gage mightily.
- Dislikes: Gage is not going to prefer it in the event you get drunk or use chems, and likewise dislikes you giving issues away, serving to NPCs and being sort.
How to recruit Ada and your personal private Automatron
If not one of the present companions please you, modify or make your personal. The Automatron DLC gives a moddable robotic companion, Ada, and likewise provides you the chance to construct one among your personal from scratch, precisely as you’d prefer it to be. You can produce as many as you want, however just one can accompany you round. They make good settlement guards, although!
Neither Ada nor the Automatron companions have affinity ranges, and don’t provide perks. You can recruit Ada in the course of the Automaton story missions, and should progress far sufficient to unlock robotic crafting to make your personal companion.