2016 might have been Steam’s largest 12 months by way of the variety of video games launched, however none of them topped the most-played charts.
In 2016, Steam noticed more game releases than any other year. Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of them failed to carry gamers curiosity past a number of brief days at launch, and for some, none in any respect.
Data trackers at GitHyp revealed a number of attention-grabbing particulars concerning the state of Steam’s high video games in 2016. Particularity in terms of peak participant numbers and, the much more essential, variety of gamers per hour for every sport.
The high two spots have been taken up by Dota 2, and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, to nobody’s shock. As you may see, each high video games have been additionally the highest entries in 2015.
- Dota 2 / 1,286,617 peak gamers (#1 in 2015)
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive / 845,806 peak gamers (#2 in 2015)
- No Man’s Sky / 212,321 peak gamers (new)
- XCOM 2 / 132,834 peak gamers (new)
- Dark Souls three / 129,922 peak gamers (new)
All three 2016 video games made a dent sufficient to interrupt by the highest 5 at their respective launches. However, whenever you take a look at the variety of gamers per hour, the checklist begins to look very completely different.
For one factor, no 2016 sport managed to chart within the high 5. All of the highest 5 are made up of 2015 video games, a few of which even held their spots all through. Fallout 4, which landed within the high 5 in 2015, fell out onerous, ending the 12 months at no.12.
- Dota 2 / 636,607 avg. gamers per hour (#1 in 2015)
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive / 360,600 avg. gamers per hour (#2 in 2015)
- Team Fortress 2 / 50,802 avg. gamers per hour (#four in 2015)
- Grand Theft Auto 5 / 40,258 avg. gamers per hour (#5 in 2015)
- Sid Meier’s Civilization 5 / 37,885 avg gamers per hour (#9 in 2015)
Interestingly, free-to-play shooter Paladins, was the 12 months’s strongest new launch based mostly on the common of gamers per hour. It ranked at no.15 with a median of 22,809 per hour.