Godzilla vs. Kong Director Shares What He Disliked About Working on the MonsterVerse

Comment Views: 2

Director Adam Wingard brought many of his own ideas to Godzilla vs. Kong and Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire, but studio executives pushed back against his preferred musical direction. Wingard wanted both films to feature an audio style inspired by 1980s cinema and John Carpenter, but Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures restricted his creative choices.

“There were songs and electronic music in the movies, but my heart leans much more toward an eighties vibe and John Carpenter.”
Adam Wingard

For Godzilla vs. Kong, Wingard planned to hire composer Matthew Pusti, who previously worked with the director on Death Note. Pusti created tracks for the previsualization stage, yet the studios insisted on choosing a different composer.

“That was my first time working on such a massive studio movie, and my first time getting spanked. I said, ‘I want this guy to score it.’ He was hired for the previsualization, and he wrote music for it. But at some point, Legendary and Warner Bros. just said, ‘You can pick from one of three fucking guys that we trust. That’s how it’s gonna be.'”
Adam Wingard

Tom Holkenborg, also known as Junkie XL, ultimately composed the score for Godzilla vs. Kong. Holkenborg then returned for Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire, collaborating on the soundtrack with Antonio Di Iorio.

Following The New Empire, Wingard parted ways with the MonsterVerse due to scheduling conflicts. Legendary aimed to fast-track production on the next installment, while Wingard had already committed to filming the action horror movie Onslaught for A24, set to hit theaters on September 4, 2026.

I Am Mother director Grant Sputore has taken over to helm the next franchise entry, Godzilla x Kong: Supernova, which is scheduled to premiere in 2027.

 

Source: iXBT.games

Share:

Related articles

Search games, news and articles…

Enter at least two characters

Enter at least two characters